Have you ever had to go and do a weekly food shop before becoming a student? Is it expensive right?
Students actually spend around £125 per month on food. That’s a big chunk of your student budget no doubt but fear not, we’ve got all your food shop hacks listed below to save you some cash.
1. Go for value brands. We swear you will hardly be able to tell the difference.
2. Stalk those reduced sections like your life depends on it. You can bag some amazing bargains.
3. Buy your fresh fruit and veg from the greengrocers. You are basically only paying for the packaging in supermarkets anyway.
4. Write a meal plan and list before you go to the shop and don’t deviate from it.
5. Set a weekly budget and be sure to stick to it. If you come in under budget, Bonus!
6. Shop on Approved Foods for some serious discounts. They sell ‘close to’ sell by date items which shops can no longer sell.
7. Timing is everything when it comes to the food shop. Lots of fresh/bakery items get reduced in the evenings so try shopping then.
8. Buy non-perishables in bulk to save money in the long run. Think pasta, tinned foods and loo roll.
9. Buy frozen fruit and veg instead of fresh. That way you know it’s not going to go off and it actually still holds the same nutritional value as fresh does.
10. Freeze everything that is freezable to avoid food waste.
11. And lastly, never do the food shop on an empty stomach.